Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The Storm

Hello dear reader,
this link is actually for me as much as it is for you. I recently saw the link on Dooce.com. She says this: "I can't stress enough how eloquent this piece is. He nails it."
I echo her words completely. I am thankful that he has surfaced long enough to write this insightful piece, and I pray for his continued health. Here's the link:

A columnist for the Times-Picayune in New Orleans

At first I wasn't going to link it - I thought - "oh, it's too depressing" (literally!). But then I couldn't stop reading it - I was drawn by his vivid description of a disease which is so prevalent among us, so relevant to us. and I wanted to give you the opportunity to read. not to scare you, or to make you diagnose yourselves - but to open all our eyes.
My Lord has thus far spared me the absolute grip of such an illness, such a storm... but he has not spared me the effects.
So today I turn to His unfailing goodness, unfailing wisdom - I lift up my Song of praise to the Most High - I lift it up because, even when I don't understand everything that goes on around me, or why things happen to people around me, or why such an illness of pain is allowed to persist in believers and nonbelievers alike - while I don't understand, I still trust that He is in charge in complete control. And I pray for more grace - that I might believe it more.
And I pray for you, reader. That in the midst of the storm (of depression), that you would find shelter in the LORD.
I turn once more to Psalms 27, this time verses 1 and 5:

The LORD is my light and my salvation
whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life
of whom shall I be afraid?

For in the day of trouble
he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle
and set me high upon a rock.


Amen.

No comments: